Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Roasted Salmon with Vegetable Slaw and Miso Dressing

Tasty Tuesdays

I've been taking a handful of cooking classes lately at a new cooking school, that just opened here in San Francisco.  

Since beginning these classes and learning more in depth about the techniques of preparation I have been on a cooking rampage to try out making new dishes and come up with new recipes! 

I'm basically in the height of my cooking obsession that I find myself while still eating the current meal in front of me I'm thinking what I can prepare for the next one. 

While I've been playing around with a bunch of different types of recipes around my kitchen, I realized I hadn't made fish in awhile...instead I've been getting my weekly intake of my omega 3's from my local sushi place.... that I must admit my boyfriend and I frequent so often the guy knows it's me by my voice on the phone. 

So instead I decided to try out a new salmon recipe that differs from the way I usually like to prepare this fish.  It's a little sweet, gingery and oh so good. 


























Ingredients:
1/4 cup golden miso
1/4 cup agave
1/4 cup water
1 lemon
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. gluten-free tamari
1 tbsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup of canola or grapeseed oil
3/4 pounds of salmon filets
1 julienned carrot
1/2 cup of julienned red bell pepper
1 julienned English cucumber (the skin is less waxy)
3/4 cup of julienned peeled jicama


Method:
Start by julienning (matchstick-size strips) of the carrot, red bell pepper, cucumber and jicama.

Next, combine the miso, agave, water, the juice from one lemon, sesame oil, gluten-free tamari, and ginger in a blender or food processor.

Pre-heat the oven to 350-375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet or shallow dish with foil and place the salmon filets on top.  Season each filet with salt and freshly ground pepper.  Cook salmon until thickest part of filet begins to "flake" approximately 7 minutes.

While the salmon is roasting, combine the julienned carrot, red bell pepper, cucumber and jicama.  Add the miso dressing and toss vegetables in a large bowl.

Serve, by spooning the vegetable slaw onto a plate and place the salmon on top.  Finish by lightly drizzling remaining miso dressing on the fish.

Enjoy!

xoxo
Meg


No comments: