Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Poached Cod with Roasted Fennel, Cherry Tomatoes...and a Watermelon Salad

Tasty Tuesdays
As I mentioned yesterday, I have been busier than usual lately due to my new job and I have been guilty of ordering sushi takeout for pretty much every meal.  

So, over the weekend I made sure to make a point of re-stocking our fridge and hitting up the local farmers market for farm fresh veggies.   Now I have plenty of ingredients to start making home cooked meals in our kitchen once again! 

My first meal back in the kitchen I decided to make something light and went with a poached fish along with some fresh roasted veggies and a salad.  One thing about eating out is as easy as it is, you tend to always overeat and throw portion control to the wind....so I felt that I was overdue for a nutritious meal.  



Poached Cod with Roasted Fennel, Cherry Tomatoes served with a Watermelon, Feta, Olive and Toasted Pistachio Salad....



Ingredients:
3/4 1lb. Cod 
1 lemon 
1 fennel bulb
Mix of yellow and red cherry tomatoes
Garlic 
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea Salt and pepper

Method:
First, prepare the vegetables by cutting the fennel bulb horizontally into 1/3" slices.  Then cut 1 cup of mixed orange and cherry tomatoes in half.  Place fennel and cherry tomatoes into a 13 X 9 baking pan along with 1 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil, 4 garlic gloves and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt and pepper.

Cook at 375 degrees for approximated 30 minutes or until fork tender. 

Thoroughly coat each side of the cod with salt and pepper, set aside.  In a deep skillet heat enough water to just cover the fish along with the juice from one lemon.  Let poach on low heat until opaque and easily flaking (approximately 5 minutes). 

Basil Sauce (optional)
1 Large handful of fresh basil leaves 
2 Tbsp. olive oil 
3 Tbsp. water

Mix well in a food processor and serve on top of cod.  





Salad Ingredients:
Seedless watermelon cubes (I cheated and bought mine pre-cut) 
Kalmata olives 
Pistachios unsalted and unshelled
Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar

Method:
Lightly coat a small skillet with olive oil or cooking spray and on low heat add 1/4 cup of the unshelled pistachios mixing frequently until "toasted" for about 1-2 minutes.  

In a separate bowl add watermelon cubes, crumbled feta, pitted kalmata olives, drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and top with the toasted pistachios.


xoxo
Meg






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh wow, I love cod, this recipe just won me over.