Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I just got back from a two week trip to Brazil for a friend's wedding (pictures and post to come!) 


However, with the celebrating came lots and lots of food and imbibing in caipirinhas. Needless to say by the end of the trip I was feeling a bit like I was in a food coma. 


Now that I'm back home, I've had to remind myself that I no longer need to eat like I'm a participant in a food eating contest.  With the exception of overindulging on vacation, overall I'm a healthy eater and after a stint of eating too much junk, I like to kickstart my routine with a couple tried and true recipes that get me feeling back on track! 




Breakfast: Smoothie 





Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of almond milk (preferably unsweetened)
  • 1/2 banana 
  • 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries
  • 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen mango
  • 1 handful of torn pieces of kale or spinach
  • 1 rounded scoop of vanilla whey protein powder (I like the whole foods brand)
  • 1 tbsp psyllium husks (great source for fiber, which also makes you feel full longer) 
*Optional ice cubes (if you like your smoothies a little more cold and less thick) 

Blend all ingredients together, serve, and enjoy!


Lunch: Veggie Chopped Salad 


For this you can pretty much combine any type of vegetables that you like but the following is what I particularly prefer to put in:

3-4 leaves romaine lettuce 
1 red beet
3 fresh basil leaves 
1 small bunch of broccoli 
1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
1/2 yellow pepper
1/4 cup of red cabbage

*Optional protein add in: 1/2 cup flaked canned wild salmon 

Chop all the ingredients well with sharp knife or you can use a food processor (if you do, put all ingredients in the food processor in batches EXCEPT for the lettuce which will become disintegrated) 

Dressing:
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
1 Tsp. dijon mustard 
1/4 Tsp. finely minced garlic
1/2 Tsp. finely minced shallot 
Salt (sparingly) and Pepper to taste

Again, you can combine all ingredients into a food processor (just be careful of the lid) or whisk together! 

Drizzle on salad and mix well in bowl before serving. Cover and refrigerate the remainder of dressing for another time.

Hope you enjoy and that we can all fit perfectly into our skinny jeans by the weekend!! 

xoxo
Meg 




No comments: